Camden County Schools Internet Safety
In compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA, 2011) schools and libraries are required to adopt and enforce an internet safety policy that includes a technology protection measure that protects against access by adults and minors to visual depictions that are obscene, child pornography, or – with respect to use of computers with internet access by minors – harmful to minors. “Minor” is defined as any individual who is under the age of 17. Camden County Schools Internet Safety Policy 3226/4205 was formally adopted July 9, 2015 during a scheduled Board of Education Meeting.
This internet safety policy addresses all of the following:
- Access by minors to inappropriate matter on the internet and World Wide Web;
- The safety and security of minors when using electronic mail, chat rooms, and other forms of direct electronic communications;
- Unauthorized access including “hacking” and other unlawful activities by minors online;
- Unauthorized disclosure, use, and dissemination of personal information regarding minors; and
- Measures designed to restrict minors’ access to materials harmful to minors.
For schools, the policy must also include monitoring the online activities of minors. Camden County Schools implements and maintains a type of web filtering measure that blocks access to inappropriate or obscene materials as defined by CIPA.