School Health

Medication at School

If a student needs to take medicine during the school day, prescription or over-the-counter, parents will need to submit a Medication Authorization Form.  This form must completed and signed by both the child’s physician and the parent.  The medication should be brought to school by the parent, in the original, labeled container.  The medication and dosage must match the written physician’s order.  Medication will be administered by school staff, unless it is an approved “emergency medication”, and the student is authorized to self-administer it.

Students are not allowed to carry any medication with them on school property, unless it is an approved “emergency medication”.  The approved “emergency medications” are: rescue inhalers for asthma, Epi-Pens for anaphylaxis, and insulin/Glucagon for diabetes.  Please contact the school nurse if your child needs medication at school.

For more information about medication policies and prodedures, please contact the school nurse.  You may pick up the Medication Authorization Form from the school office.  You may also download it here.

Sports Physicals

All students must have a current sports physical, proof of insurance, and concussion form on file PRIOR TO TRYING OUT for a sport.  Sports physicals are considered current for 12 months from the date the actual physical examination, so they must be renewed annually.  If your child plans on trying out for school sports for the upcoming school year, he or she will not be allowed to try out without these forms on file.  The Sports Physical Form can be downloaded here

Please contact your school’s Athletic Director or School Nurse if you have any further questions or concerns.

Meeting Student Health Needs

In order to best care for children during the school day the school nurse should be aware of the health concerns that exist.  Parents are asked to complete a Health Information Form upon enrollment.  Parents will also be asked to complete this survey at the beginning of each school year, in order to update health and contact information.  Please contact the school nurse any time during the year when there are changes or newly developed health conditions.

The school nurse uses the information from the Health Information Form to identify students who need Care Plans/Emergency Action Plans during the school year.  The plan tells the nurse and staff how to care for a student’s medical condition during the school day.  The plan is developed by the nurse with input from the parent/guardian and at times, the student’s doctor. Examples of students who would need plans would be those with asthma, diabetes, cardiac conditions, cerebral palsy, sickle cell disease, food or insect allergies, and more.

Immunization Requirements for School Attendance

North Carolina requires all students to provide proof of all up-to-date immunizations when enrolling in school. It is the parent’s responsibility to provide this information.  Please contact the school nurse if you have any questions or concerns.  For more information go to:

Important Information for Parents with Children Entering 7th Grade

There are new immunization requirements for school entry beginning July 1, 2015. Children who start 7th grade on or after July 1, 2015, will be required to have vaccines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to protect them from serious diseases. Students entering the 7th grade will be required to have one dose of each of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) and the meningococcal vaccines, if they have not previously received these vaccines.


Your child will have to provide proof of vaccination on the first day of school. Please remember to bring your child’s shot record on or before the first day of school. This record may be obtained from his/her doctor or the local health department.


To learn more about these vaccines and the diseases they prevent, visit the CDC website at or the NC Immunization Branch at

It is the responsibility of the parent to provide proof of immunization to the school nurse.


SHAC PLAN 2017-2019

New Health Assessment Requirement for All Students Entering N.C. Public Schools for the First Time:

State law requires that every child entering public schools in N.C. receive a health assessment. The assessment must occur within 12 months prior to entering school. The medical provider, parent or guardian must provide a completed health assessment transmittal form to the principal of the school on or before the child’s first day of attendance.  To learn more about the health assessment requirement, please go to

Download the required Health Assessment Form here:

School Health Staff

Candice Beckner, BSN, RN, NCSN
School Nurse
Grandy Primary School
Laura L. Berry, RN, BSN, NCSN
School Nurse
Camden Intermediate School
Kim Hollingsworth, RN, BSN, NCSN
School Nurse
Camden County High School and Cam Tech High
Jean Sawyer
School Nurse
Camden Middle School
Jamie Reed
School Psychologist
Camden Intermediate School
Alysia Mizelle
School Social Worker
Camden Intermediate School